PhD, Statistics, Simon Fraser University
MMath, Statistics, University of Waterloo
BSc, Combined Honours, Mathematics and Statistics, University of British Columbia
Canada Research Chair in Biostatistics (Tier 2, 2013 - 2023)
Department of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 3P4
Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC, Canada V5A 1S6
Office: DTB (formerly SSM) A-545
nathoo at math dot uvic dot ca
I am a co-leader of the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute Collaborative Research Team: "Joint Analysis of Neuroimaging Data: High-dimensional Problems, Spatio-Temporal Models and Computation" 2016 - 2019.
- A Times Colonist News article on the team is here.
- Information on the team from the CANSSI website is here.
- A Medical Xpress article on the team is here.
- The other team co-leader is Linglong Kong from the Mathematics and Statistics Department at University of Alberta.
- The scientific program (including the abstracts from student
talks) for our 2016 team meeting held at the University of Victoria is
- Slides summarizing team achievements are here.
We focus on the development of statistical methods for
the analysis of neuroimaging data (EEG, MEG, fMRI) and the joint
analysis of neuroimaging and genetic data. Within this context we apply
develop approaches for statistical modelling and
computation. A secondary focus is the development of Bayesian
methods for cognitive science and general biostatistics research. Our
group is receptive to starting new collaborations with researchers
involved with neuroimaging studies requiring statistical expertise in
the analysis of existing data, the development of new methods for novel
neuroimaging data or statistical problems, and in the design of experiments for
neuroimaging or imaging-genetic studies.
- Joint Statistical Meetings 2019
Invited Session Proposal ‘Making an Impact in Neuroscience: Advances in
Statistical Methods for Brain Imaging’ has been accepted for the
invited program. Nathoo will be a discussant in this session.
- Nathoo has been elected to the Board of Directors of the Canadian Statistical Sciences Institute for a three year term, 2018 - 2021.
- Nathoo is a Member of the NSERC Mathematics and Statistics Evaluation Group (EG 1508), 2016-2019.
- R package 'bgsmtr'
for Bayesian analysis of imaging genetics data is now available on
- Former lab member Keelin
Greenlaw won a CANSSI-sponsored Best Paper Award at the 2015
Statistical Society of Canada Student Conference.
(Hong) Li wins the TIES-WILEY Best Student Poster Award at the 2008 International Environmetrics Society Annual
Conference for her work in modelling mountain pine beetle infestation.
Students (two teams) win both of the SSC Case Studies in Data Analysis Competitions
at the 2009 Statistical Society of Canada Conference.
Current Lab Members:
Yasmin (MSc Student)
- Research Interests: Imaging genetics and fMRI data analysis
- Yin Song (PhD Student)
- Research Interests: Statistical computing and programming, MEG/EEG inverse problem, Bayesian methods and variational Bayes
Yin presenting an e-poster at JSM 2018.
- Shan Shi
- Research Interests: Machine Learning for neuroimaging and genetic data
- Eugene Opoku (PhD Student)
- Research Interests: Hidden Markov random fields and associated optimization algorithms
- Li Xing (Postdoctoral
- Research Interests: Analysis of longitudinal imaging genetics data
Li presenting an e-poster at JSM 2018.
Interested in joining our lab and doing
your graduate work at UVic? We live, work and play in Victoria, British
Columbia. Home to Canada's mildest climate, best restaurants, beaches,
beautiful scenery and lots of super friendly people. See some pictures here.
I am currently recruiting PhD students
(MSc students in outstanding cases) to work on a number of projects
involving Bayesian methods for neuroimaging data. Potential
applicants should have very strong programming skills (we emphasize R
and Matlab but some students use Python), a good undergraduate math
background. Interested candidates should contact Farouk Nathoo
(email@example.com), send me your undergraduate and graduate transcripts,
your publications if any, and let me know if you have a specific interest.
2016 - present: Associate Editor, Canadian Journal of Statistics
2013: Guest Co-Editor, Statistical Methods in Medical Research, Special Issue on Statistics for Imaging
In Fall 2018 I am teaching MATH/STAT 452/552 (Stochastic
Processes/Applied Stochastic Models; course outline
) and STAT 460/560 (Bayesian
Statistics; course outline
). Course material will be distributed in class.
- Member of
the Organizing Committee, The Seventh International Workshop on the
Perspectives on High-Dimensional Data Analysis, CMAT, Guanajuato,
Mexico, June 2017.
- Member of the Local Organizing Committee, Organization for
Human Brain Mapping (OHBM) Annual Meeting, Vancouver, British
Columbia, June 2017.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, The Sixth International
Workshop on the Perspectives on High-Dimensional Data Analysis,
Fields Institute, May 2016.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, Mathematical and Statistical Challenges in Neuroimaging Data Analysis, BIRS, January 2016.
- Program Co-Chair, Workshop on Applied Topology and High-Dimensional Data Analysis, University of Victoria, August 2015.
- Member of the Organizing Committee, International Workshop on the Perspectives on High-dimensional Data Analysis III, Vancouver, May 2013.
Co-Chair, GEOMED 2011:
GeoMedical Systems and Spatial Statistics International Conference,
Victoria, October 2011.