Assistant Professor & Canada Research Chair (tier II)
Research Interest: (1) Statistical Genomics, (2) Machine learning (3) Design and analysis of clinical trials, and (4) Big data problems
Joined the University of Victoria (2017) as an assistant professor & Canada Research Chair (tier 2).
Obtained a BSc (2000) and MSc (2003) in mathematics from Nankai University, MSc (2005) and PhD (2011) in statistics from University of British Columbia. Held a BCIC Innovation Scholarship (2007-2009) and a NSERC CGS-D scholarship (2009-2011) while completing a PhD in statistics under the supervision of Dr. Raphael Gottardo and Dr. Kevin P. Murphy.
Worked as postdoctoral researcher with NSERC PDF award (2011-2013) at the Dept. of Biostatistics at Johns Hopkins University under the supervision of Dr. Hongkai Ji and Dr. Rafael Irizarry. Worked as MSc statistician at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation and Sirius Genomics Inc. (2005-2009) and PhD statistician at Eli Lilly & Co. and AstraZeneca (2014-2017).
Has been a visiting scholar at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. (2011)
We recently submitted one manuscript about our novel methodology of Bayesian hierarchical model for genome-wide association studies. It is a semi-supervised machine learning approach. For more detail, please see the Arxiv draft before the paper is published.
- Yan Xu, 2018.1 – Present
Award 1: (2018.5-2018.8) MATICS Accelerate Fellowship at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
Award 2: (2018.9-2019.8) VADA Trainee Scholarship (NSERC CREATE) $19,000
- Hoi Suen Wong, 2018.9 – Present
Award 1: (2018.9-2019.8) VADA Trainee Scholarship (NSERC CREATE) $19,000
- Ailan Shi (Co-supervisor Dr. Don Sin and Dr. Maen Obeidat, University of British Columbia), 2017.9 – Present
Internship: (2018.5-2018.12) Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
Award: (2018.9-2019.6) MATICS Accelerate Fellowship at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
- Peijie Xie, 2017.9 – Present
Work Study: (2017.9 - 2018.4) Centre for Biomedical Research, UVic
Intership: (2018.5 - 2018.12) British Columbia Investment Management Corporation , Victoria
- Yiqi Qiao (Co-supervisor Dr. Julie Zhou , UVic), 2017.9 – Present
- Songwan Joun, 2018.9 – Present
- QinCheng Lu (Lab Manager), 2018.9 – Present
Award: (2018.9-2019.8) MITACS Globalink Graduate Fellowship $15,000
- Fall 2017: STAT 556 Topic in Statistics - Bioinformatics / Computational Biology
- Spring 2018: STAT 458/568 Generalized Linear Models
- Fall 2018: STAT 454/563 TOPICS:APPLIED STATISTICS: Machine Learning
Students considering to register are expected to have substaintial statistics background and strong programing skills
Textbook: Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning
- Spring 2019: STAT 454/563 TOPICS:APPLIED STATISTICS: Bioinformatics
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Victoria
PO BOX 1700 STN CSC
Canada V8W 2Y2