Assistant Professor & Canada Research Chair (tier II)
Research Interest: (1) Statistical Genomics, (2) Machine learning (3) Design and analysis of clinical trials, and (4) Big data problems
Other Affiliations: Faculty member of VADA program supported by NSERC CREATE Grant and Center for Biomedical Research, UVic
Joined the University of Victoria (2017) as an assistant professor & Canada Research Chair (tier 2).
Obtained a BSc (2000) and MSc (2003) in mathematics from Nankai University, MSc (2005) and PhD (2011) in statistics from University of British Columbia. Held a BCIC Innovation Scholarship (2007-2009) and a NSERC CGS-D scholarship (2009-2011) while completing a PhD in statistics under the supervision of Dr. Raphael Gottardo and Dr. Kevin P. Murphy.
Worked as postdoctoral researcher with NSERC PDF award (2011-2013) at the Dept. of Biostatistics at Johns Hopkins University under the supervision of Dr. Hongkai Ji and Dr. Rafael Irizarry. Worked as MSc statistician at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation and Sirius Genomics Inc. (2005-2009) and PhD statistician at Eli Lilly & Co. and AstraZeneca (2014-2017).
Has been a visiting scholar at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. (2011)
We recently submitted one manuscript about our novel methodology of Bayesian hierarchical model for genome-wide association studies. It is a psuedo-supervised machine learning approach. For more detail, please see the Arxiv draft before the paper is published.
I am recruiting one new PhD student. Successful candidate will be funded by the VADA program.
I am recruiting one new MSc students. Department will provide about $5000/year TA salary for all graduate students. I usually do not provide major financial support for MSc students, but it is not hard for top MSc students to get decent income from summer Internship.
UVic tuition is about $2000 per term, which is much lower than most other universities in Canada.
Postdoctorate Fellows and Research Associates
- Omar Alaqeeli, (joint position with CS department) 2018.10 – Current
- Yan Xu, 2018.1 – Present
Award 1: (2018.5-2018.8) MATICS Accelerate Fellowship at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
Award 2: (2018.9-2019.8) VADA Trainee Scholarship (NSERC CREATE) $19,000
- Hoi Suen Wong, 2018.9 – Present
Award 1: (2018.9-2019.8) VADA Trainee Scholarship (NSERC CREATE) $19,000
- Ailan Shi (Co-supervisor Dr. Don Sin and Dr. Maen Obeidat, University of British Columbia), 2017.9 – Present
Internship: (2018.5-2018.8) Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
Award: (2018.9-2019.6) MATICS Accelerate Fellowship at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
- Peijie Xie, 2017.9 – Present
Work Study: (2017.9 - 2018.4) Centre for Biomedical Research, UVic
Intership: (2018.5 - 2018.12) British Columbia Investment Management Corporation , Victoria
- Yiqi Qiao (Co-supervisor Dr. Julie Zhou , UVic), 2017.9 – Present
- Songwan Joun , 2018.9 – Present
- QinCheng Lu (Lab Manager), 2018.9 – Present
Award: (2018.9-2019.8) MITACS Globalink Graduate Fellowship $15,000
- Fall 2017: STAT 556 Topic in Statistics - Bioinformatics / Computational Biology
- Spring 2018: STAT 458/568 Generalized Linear Models
- Fall 2018: STAT 454/563 TOPICS:APPLIED STATISTICS: Machine Learning
- Spring 2019: STAT 454/563 TOPICS:APPLIED STATISTICS: Bioinformatics
- Style guide for R programming
- Machine learning packages in R
- An interesting tutorial about deep learning in R (I am puzzled by what is the sample size requirement to make deep learning works well.)
- Video: The 2nd generation seuqncing technology
- Video: The 3rd generation seuqncing technology
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Victoria
PO BOX 1700 STN CSC
Canada V8W 2Y2