Assistant Professor & Canada Research Chair (tier II)
Research Interest: (1) Statistical Genomics, (2) Machine learning (3) Design and analysis of clinical trials, and (4) Big data problems
Joined the University of Victoria (2017) as an assistant professor & Canada Research Chair (tier 2).
Obtained a BSc (2000) and MSc (2003) in mathematics from Nankai University, MSc (2005) and PhD (2011) in statistics from University of British Columbia. Held a BCIC Innovation Scholarship (2007-2009) and a NSERC CGS-D scholarship (2009-2011) while completing a PhD in statistics under the supervision of Dr. Raphael Gottardo and Dr. Kevin P. Murphy.
Worked as postdoctoral researcher with NSERC PDF award (2011-2013) at the Dept. of Biostatistics at Johns Hopkins University under the supervision of Dr. Hongkai Ji and Dr. Rafael Irizarry. Worked as MSc statistician at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation and Sirius Genomics Inc. (2005-2009) and PhD statistician at Eli Lilly & Co. and AstraZeneca (2014-2017).
Has been a visiting scholar at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. (2011)
- Yan Xu, 2018.1 – Present
Award 1: (2018.5-2018.8) MATICS Accelerate internship at Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver $15,000
- Hoi Suen Wong, 2018.9 – Present
- Jocelyn Chen (Co-supervisor Dr. Julian Lum , UVic), 2018.9 – Present
- Ailan Shi (Co-supervisor Dr. Don Sin , UBC), 2017.9 – Present
Internship: (2018.5-2018.12) Centre for Heart Lung Innovation, Vancouver
- Peijie Xie, 2017.9 – Present
Work Study: (2017.9 - 2018.4) Deptartment of Math & Stat, UVic
- Yiqi Qiao (Co-supervisor Dr. Julie Zhou , UVic), 2017.9 – Present
- Songwan Joun, 2018.9 – Present
- Fall 2017: STAT 556 Topic in Statistics - Bioinformatics / Computational Biology
- Spring 2018: STAT 458/568 Generalized Linear Models
- Fall 2018: STAT 556 Topics in Statistics – Machine Learning
- Spring 2019: STAT 465/565 Bioinformatics
Mathematics and Statistics
University of Victoria
PO BOX 1700 STN CSC
Canada V8W 2Y2